What is Device Rank?
Device Rank (DR), is the name of the functionality that Quantellium uses to determine the importance of devices. Devices in a project are ranked on an hourly basis.
How is the rank of a device determined?
The rank of a device depends on their role, behavior, utilization and importance in the network! The following device characteristics or properties are taken into account:
- Is it reachable through its host name? Does an active DNS entry exist for its host name?
- Is SNMP enabled and correctly configured?
- How many IP addresses are configured on it?
- Does it switch or route traffic based on MAC address?
- Does it switch or route traffic based on IP address?
- Does it have Power Supply capabilities?
- Does it act as IP router for its environment?
- What is its CPU utilization compared to other devices?
- How many users are currently logged in on it?
How can I see the rank of a device?
The rank of a device is shown on a device’s dashboard page. Right-click a device on the map and select Open | Details.
What is Device Rank used for?
In large networks with lots of nodes, the number of events that occur (device up/down, threshold exceeded, trap received..) can be massive. DR is the most sophisticated of the two Alert Decision-making Algorithms provided by Quantellium and plays an important role in making sense of a large number of events and pinpointing the few events that are really important in that mass of information.